UPDATE: Take note, this patch works for the older version of CLANNAD. (A remake was made, featuring better CGs, just double the resolution, no additional game or story content included).
Patch: HERE || All you have to do is replace the SEEN.TXT from your game directory with this one.
The whole thing has been translated (albeit with harsh / rough translations at that.)Includes both School Life and After Story sections. Here it is.
Good news to the people that loved the CLANNAD anime series, as well as to those who bought the Japanese CLANNAD visual novel but can’t read it due to the fact that they can’t understand the Japanese language because fan translation groups managed to resurrect the English project. Translations are nearly in completion.
CLANNAD was a popular Japanese visual novel made by Key/VisualArts back then in 2004. The popularity of the novel was enough to spark adaptations, from an OVA to an Anime series up to this date (2007-2008). Because of this, English translations were made by its fans and the translations are now out on the internet. (these are unofficial releases though, but good enough.)
Just a note
First off: CLANNAD is a commercial game. You have to buy the DVD at either at an online store (Himeyashop, PLAY-ASIA, etc) or at Japan’s video game stores (if you do get the luxury to go there yourself.) The game is a bishoujo (bi = beautiful, shoujo = girl) game but it is non-ero (Usually the case is that in a bishoujo game, it’s ero. This one is one of those few exemptions though).
The fan translation patch is of course, free. You can find it in the Baka-Tsuki website. As of now, no. The official patch (edited to a better translation, full image and menu translations) isn’t out yet. There’s an unofficial patch however and it should suffice for people with little or considerable amount of Japanese. It isn’t fully translated and could have typos here and there though. However, the said translations are nearly complete, say, complete enough to finish and understand all stories. (think “need”) This translates all arcs of the main story and After Story, the second part of the game Everything should be translated enough at this point, only the interface and some parts like cinematics were untranslated.
To those who are still confused (or just found those two paragraphs above too long to read ;p) these are the things that you will need:
- The CLANNAD PC game, non-voiced or voiced* edition.
- The English translation patch. See the link above.
- Windows or Linux (haven’t tried this on a Mac yet.)
- (Windows XP below) You need Japanese versions of your operating system
- (Windows XP) You need the East Asian Languages installed. If it isn’t then you will need the Windows XP CD. Your computer should also be set for Japanese on non-Unicode programs
- (Windows Vista) You only need to set Japanese on non-Unicode programs as Vista has the language packs pre-installed.
- (Linux) Wine is the only thing you’ll need. Get it via your distribution’s repositories or compile Wine from source via WineHQ. Most distributions such as Ubuntu will have the Japanese fonts (see below) pre-installed.
- Added note: Microsoft AppLocale does NOT work. The idea is that your system should have at least 1 Japanese font installed. The East Asian Languages pack or Japanese versions of the OSes should make it an easy process. If you do not have your old XP cd though, you can just get any Japanese font in the internet that has the alphabet in it.
* The fan translation group officially will support the non-voiced edition, as that is what they have right now. They don’t seem to own the voiced versions so it’s either you wait for them to release the voiced version (will take longer too release) or, wait for an unofficial patch (like the one above) for the voiced versions.
Information on CLANNAD can be found on Wikipedia
The fan translation group can be found here. The CLANNAD project page can be found here. It is a collaboration project between Baka-Tsuki, zefgame and a group of the anime fansubbers, Sprocket-Hole and TheWaffleHouse.